In 1956, Chamber of Commerce President, Charles Newlon, was instrumental in the formation of the Decatur County United Fund. Along with Hartford Sallee he spent many hours visiting the townships to interest them in their proposed organization. Many hours and many meetings later, the Decatur County United Fund became a reality in 1957. It was incorporated under laws of Indiana on May 6, 1957 with 12 Board members: Rev. Stanley Dodson, Lowell Headlee, Walter Lowe, Ed Neimeyer, Charles Newlon, Al Page, Robert Platt, Ralph Ponsler, Hartford Sallee, Leland Taylor, Hubert Wickens and Wallis Wood. The office was located at 212 North Franklin Street. The first budget ($54,554); nine agencies funded ($37,350); administration budgeted ($17,204).